The NBA season is quickly approaching, so let's take a look at every team's win total heading into the new season.
The latest: It's been an eventful offseason in the NBA and a handful of teams are ready to bring new and improved squads into the limelight. The reigning champion Denver Nuggets have the Western Conference's highest win total while three different Eastern Conference teams have totals set at 50 or higher.
Find the latest NBA win total odds below ahead of the 2023-24 season.
NBA win total odds
Let's start with the Eastern Conference, which includes the newly-minted superteam Milwaukee Bucks.
Milwaukee is the current favourite to win the NBA Finals after trading for Damian Lillard, but it's actually the Boston Celtics who own the league's highest win total.
Eastern Conference projected win totals
|New York Knicks||44.5||-120||-109|
Boston saw Milwaukee trade for Lillard and said, "Hold my beer."
The Celtics picked up Jrue Holiday — who was included in the Lillard trade — from the Portland Trail Blazers, in exchange for Malcolm Brogdon, Robert Williams, and two first-round picks.
Holiday now slots in alongside Jayson Tatum, Jaylen Brown and Kristaps Porzingis, the latter of which was also acquired this offseason.
Sign up now to receive NorthStar's Best Bets newsletter.
Boston's 57 wins last year were good for the second-most in basketball. The team had the best net rating (6.7) and narrowly missed out on consecutive Finals appearances after falling to the Miami Heat in Game 7 of the ECF.
This team is stacked, and 55 wins isn't as tough a task as one may think. In the past 10 seasons, 36 teams have topped this mark — and that includes two COVID-shortened seasons.
Eastern Conference notes
- The Toronto Raptors have cleared their 36.5-win total in nine of the past 10 seasons, including last year (41-41). Most of the 2022-23 roster remains intact sans Fred VanVleet, who left the team in free agency. If Masai Ujiri elects to keep the squad together, this is an attainable number.
- The Bucks have the conference's second-highest win total (53.5). This is a number they've cleared in three of the past five seasons, including a COVID-shortened 2019-20 when they went 56-17.
- The lowest win total in the entire league belongs to the Washington Wizards (24.5), who are in clear tank mode. The Wizards traded Bradley Beal this offseason and eventually got Jordan Poole in return.
NBA win total odds: Western Conference projected win totals
|Golden State Warriors||48.5||-117||-112|
|Los Angeles Clippers||46.5||-120||-109|
|Los Angeles Lakers||47.5||-114||-114|
|New Orleans Pelicans||44.5||-114||-114|
|Oklahoma City Thunder||44.5||-118||-110|
|Portland Trail Blazers||N/A||N/A||N/A|
|San Antonio Spurs||29.5||-109||-120|
The Nuggets hold pole position in the West for good reason.
Denver rolled to their first NBA Championship, with a 16-4 record in the postseason. That came after a 53-win regular season, which was good enough to net them the top spot in the conference.
The Nuggets had the sixth-best offensive rating (116.8), the second-most home wins (34) and the best effective field-goal percentage (57.3%) in basketball.
Nikola Jokic is the most complete player in the league, and Jamal Murray is fully healthy. With almost no roster turnover save for Bruce Brown, another strong season is expected.
Western Conference notes
- The two Los Angeles teams have similar win totals. The Clippers sit at 46.5 while the Lakers are one win above that at 47.5. Both teams would need to improve on last year's results to clear their 2023-24 projected totals.
- The Sacramento Kings are coming off a 48-win season, where they led the league in points per game (120.7). It was their best campaign since 2004-05 (50 wins) and with the entire starting roster returning, Sacramento should be able to clear its mark.
- The Memphis Grizzlies will be without Ja Morant for the first 25 games of 2023-24 but their 46.5 win total is still attainable. Memphis has won 107 games in the past two seasons and was 31-15 without Morant in that span.